Wednesday, 25 May 2016

PGM Port Dickson Championship 2016 - Round 1



Harris takes early lead in Port Dickson
 Seeking a first win on the Professional Golf of Malaysia (PGM) Tour, Paul Harris got off to a good start in the PGM Port Dickson Championship today when he fired a seven-under-par 64.
 The American had nine birdies, countered by two bogeys in an effort that gave him a one-stroke lead on the first day of the RM200,000 tournament at Port Dickson Golf & Country Club.
 Indonesia’s Danny Masrin was second after a commendable 65, and Thailand’s Suradit Yongcharoenchai and Nattawat Suvanajanakorn both shot 66s for a tie for third place.
Meanwhile, Malaysia’s Mohd Iylia Jamil, Jay Bayron of the Philippines, Australia’s Adam Blyth and American Johannes Veerman were joint fifth on 67.
There were seven local lads in a 12-way tie for 10th spot – Abel Tam, Hans Jamil, Gavin Green, Nicholas Fung, Sukree Othman, Shaifubari Muda and Idzkandar Marappan – all matching the Thai quintet of Nirun Sae-Ueng, Puk Pradittan, Nitithorn Thippongand and Jakraphan Premsirigorn, and South African Mathiam Keyser with 68s.
Twenty-three year-old Tam said he was pleased with his round, which he termed was “decent” and added that he was looking to continuing with his form of today.
“(Coach) C.M. Chong has been helping me with my game and I’m improving, even if it appears to be rather slowly.
“Today I played steady and had those four birdies, along with the bogey at the start of my second nine (the 1st hole). So I am pleased with how it went.
“I know there is still a long way to go in this event and for me to improve overall, but I feel that my mental game has changed for the better and I’m really happy about that,” he added.
Twenty-year-old Harris said: “I made a few good putts today, 10-12 footers and it gave me some confidence.
“I also had a good start with a 20-footer for birdie on the 1st hole and that was key to the putting,” added Harris who had 26 putts today.
“The course is in a good condition and I am happy to have started well today. This is the best round I have had on the Tour and I am looking forward to more.”
Meanwhile, Masrin, who has had two top-10s this year, including an excellent showing at Glenmarie, said: “I hit the ball solid today. I hit 14 fairways and I didn’t miss any greens. I played consistently well and gave myself birdie chances.”




 




No comments: