Sunday, 20 October 2013

David Hull s FRANK talk about His daughter


David  reveals all about his daughter @  Sime Darby LPGA  2013 @KLGC
David Hull, father of rising teenage golfer, Charly Hull, reveals everything to DAMARU GOLF at a frank talk, together with  MR. SHIV DAS - Managing Editor of Golf Malaysia. 
Damaru Golf (DG)
Shiv Das (S)
Dave Hull (DH)
Lets  get on said DG   S caught him by the pool wondering while Charly  was playing .
DAMARU GOLF (DG): What are her career earnings? 

Dave Hull (DH): 150,000 Euro unofficial and 90,000 Euro official. After she played the Solheim, she was invited to play the Canadian Open where she came 17th. After the 3rd round she was one shot off the lead, but this was one week after the Solheim so she got a little bit tired. She was then invited to play the Sime Darby LPGA.

DG: What is the reason for her success?

DH: She’s gifted.

DG: Is that all.

DH: Yes.

DG: Fantastic answer. We believe talent like this cannot be bought, cannot be sold, and cannot be passed on like an asset. It has to be acquired. Has she done any technical training?

DH: She has got a swing coach.

DG: Has he done any changes to her swing?

DH: Not much. She was a little bit upright so he made a slight change to that, but the natural swing technique -HER STYLE, HER ORIGINAL STYLE- is still there.

DG: Do you have any videos before and after the so-called slight change of her swing?

DH: Yes.

DG: Do you think with her current performance, she has the changed swing or her natural swing? Have you compared that?

DH: It’s the shape of the shot; she used to draw it, so that was changed to get it straight.
DG: Do you attribute that to the swing change?

DH: Yes. That’s all.

DG: Did you see those videos that her ball path changed as a result of the swing change?

DH: Well I don’t really analyze it. Well, I’ll tell you the story. When she was 9, she won the Ladies Amateur Championship in England. She beat over 25,000 entries at Turnberry, it was on TV. So we went to see a coach, a friend recommended professionally getting a coach to think of the future. So, “a coach” was Ian Poulter’s coach (Lee Scarborough), so we went to see him, the only teaching professional, and he said “I’ll look at her” and so he said “Charly do this do that” and then he comes up to me and said “she has got the best arms I’ve ever seen in golf” her arms are so naturally good.

DG: So don’t do anything! Did he say don’t do anything or just play the way she’s playing?

DH: He said there are small things for the future that we can work on but basically  she is  good.

S: You know his (DG s)whole idea is to find out whether anybody can change her swing to get better shot.

DG: Because we have analyzed this and we strongly believe, even with Tiger Woods, I have asked this question from Tiger Woods, I’m very critical in my questions so please pardon me; Tiger does not admit he made his swing change deliberately. He said it’s a part of the evolution of the man. When you develop confidence it continues to change. It’s not a deliberate change where you say “OK now I have to do this change”. That’s why I asked you this question, you mentioned, the swing was changed and you agreed that change had been done based on the ball path, but I asked you, was that ball path changed because of the swing or was it something going on in the mind of Charly? Or was it the same swing?

DH: Same swing, but we wanted a different shot.

DG: Absolutely. We are quite convinced, but it’s difficult to convince another that it’s something going on in the mind that sends the ball straight. When the mind is right everything comes right, the ball goes where it has to go. It’s the mind that matters. A tiny slip of thought or confidence, then the ball will be off target. So the swing is a result of the action from signals in a nucleus somewhere in the mind here. (Showing the head)

DH: Absolutely.

DG: Malaysia unfortunately is one place where we see golfers are highly technical .They are petted by the best schools, they are being trained by the thoughts of every technical trainer...we’ve seen very good solid players disintegrating into nothing. Ben Leong’s father related to us. We asked him “Your son went to The States, did he benefit out of it?” His father replied “Now he knows a lot of things” So DG asked “Okay he knows a lot of things, is he performing the same way?”. Then he looked at the DG rep and said “He’s a little confused”.

[LAUGHTER]

6:32
DH: I’ll tell you a story. When Charly was 9, England wanted Charly to play for England and they wanted to train her first. So she went to their training, you know, when you’re older you’ll play for England so you go for their training first. So she went there, by then she was a good player. But at 10 years old she went to US and played the Texas Open (they invited her). Afterwards, she went back to England and the England trainer told her “You got to do this and don’t use your lob wedge, don’t do this”. Then we came back and then Charly said, “Dad, I’ve got my coach, and in England they’ve got their coach and he’s telling me something different. I’m confused” I said, “Exactly Charly, what shall we do?” She said “We don’t want to do England training”, so we said sorry England, we don’t want your training. They said ‘Okay you won’t get no funding. We won’t fund you to progress you”. I said I’m not bothered about funding. I want a kid who loves playing golf.’ And so we said ‘no’ and we got no finance at all. Then Charly started beating all the England girls, all the England team, and then they wanted Charly in the team. I said well she’ll play for you, but we don’t want your coaching. They said if you don’t have a coach you won’t have no money. I said “I don’t want money I want a happy kid”.

DG: Yes, she’ll earn more money than the funds.

DH: So she played for England and you know what happened, she won the Curtis cup and the English Championships, everything, when she was young she was beating all the older players.

DG: At least you’re telling us the truth. 
DH: Yes I know.

DG: Many golfers gets influenced ,morning till night with these swing  techs  attributing hitting target  rest on physical  method
Just like those milk ads, the people who endorse the milk have never drunk milk.. Trying to get robotic body movements  often
ends a sporting career in frustration as it impossible to do some thing not inherent to self eg to  get correct the body movements as per books .

DH: One thing I think needs to be done is to let children develop by themselves.

DG: Absolutely, how did the game of golf start? I’ll answer that, in the village at St. Andrews, knocking hitting stones with a stick to a target. Then how the game developed in India is a good example. The kids hit the balls in the paddy fields with a stick. They do the same thing with cricket.

DH: Like Seve did.

DG: Absolutely. Seve did the same thing.

DH: He’s hit all kinds of shots with a 4-iron.

DG: Exactly because he was not a member of the neighboring golf club.

DH: He learnt all the shots. Seve is Charly’s hero. And she does things like Seve. She’d get a 4-iron, puts a ball in the bunker and she can just flop it up, bump, stop. Her hands are good. She’s natural. All kinds of shots with a four iron.

DG: As you said at the beginning, it’s a gift.

S: Like Tiger, Tiger is gifted.

DG: Exactly, he was champ since age 5. With or without a coach Tiger would have found a memorable niche in the golfing world. Yes  a mentor to condition to be in  peak for the event is a necessity.

S: If they hear this, somebody will shoot you!
  
[LAUGHTER]

DG: So, is Charly your only daughter?

DH: No, I’ve got 3.

DG: Sons?

DH: No sons, 3 daughters.

DG: They don’t play any golf?

DH: No, just this one.

DG: Are you a golfer?

DH: No. I’ve played golf....

DG: Your wife?

DH: No.

DG: So how did Charly acquire the taste of golf?

13:17
DH: I started playing when I was 45. Charly was a couple of years old. There was a boy next door, and they’d play games together when they were 4 years old in the garden. He started playing golf, then Charly said, “Dad Ben’s playing golf, I want to play golf with Ben”. I said ok, “I’ll get you a club”. Got her a club, and then she starts hitting.  “whack!”. Everybody says I’ve never seen anything like it, how she does that, so natural. And then she started playing golf. I used to take her. Me and my wife, we’d probably go to the seaside while away at the beach and the golf course and she’d play “whack!” and everyone would go woooow.


14:00
DG: That’s great. You need a lot of luck in these things, because if she had been entangled with someone who says “Do this and not this....” she could have ruined herself in golf.

DH: You know you said something about the mind before. When Charly was little, I taught her, I made it clear so there are no barriers. I said “Charly, everything people do, a scientist, a bricklayer, or a prime minister, look, if you want to do anything, it’s been done, people have done it, so you can do it if you want to.”

DG: Absolutely.

DH: Yes, so she’d look at her idol playing and she thought “I could do it too”. She never had any barriers of saying nor listening to “no, no”, it’s all “Yes”. A lot of people say “Oh you can’t do that” you must never say that. Clear the mind. Everything is possible, if you want to.

DG: Absolutely.

S: Do you play golf?

DH: I used to. I started playing when I was 45. Because a friend of mine started, so I’d play with him a bit. I played for 10 years. So at 45, you don’t get very good, I got down to 3. And I haven’t played since.

DG: 3???

DH: Yes, when I was 45. And I haven’t played since for 5 years.

DG: So you see, the gift you had has been genetically passed on to your daughter, not by words, not by your control, but by sheer, genetic accidental mutation.

S: So what do you do for a living?

DH: I was a plasterer.

DG: So you have the physical strength - genes that require physical stamina. You’re a lucky man.

S: So you are Charly’s full-time manager?

DH: No. I’m not a manager, I’m just a father.

S: Perfect answer.

DH: I’ve got a friend of mine, who is not a golfer, he’s a friend. And he manages her for me.

DG: What is the reason you cannot manage her?

DH: Because I want to spend my entire time taking her on tournaments and practice, concentrate on taking her and work on the golf.

S: How old are you now?

DH: 62. Cheeky devil. [asks S] How old are you?

S:  I am 72.

DG: What?!?!?

S: Yes 72.

DG: You’re good for another marriage!!! What’s the secret? What kind of food are you eating?

S: I’m a vegetarian.

DG: That’s the secret - because all meats these days are toxic.

DG: So you’re a plasterer. Do you still work?

DH: No.

DG: Are you financing the daughter or is the daughter financing you?

DH: She finances herself.

DG: What about you?
DH: I was a plasterer. And I worked hard, 7 days a week. And I bought a house. And I worked and bought 2 houses, and in I worked and in 1 year about 17 houses were made and sold.

DG: 17 houses? How did that happen?

S: He works hard. That’s all.
  
DG: So that money is enough for you?

DH: No, then I started building houses with swimming pools and all those nice things.

DG: What area of England is this?

DH: Northamptonshire.

S: What about Mummy?

DH: My first wife I lost to cancer. Not Charly’s mom, my first one. My eldest daughter is 35 now. And then I met, my second wife, who had a 2 year old daughter when I met her. And between us we wanted a daughter or a son and we had Charly between us.

DG: So you must be considering yourself as lucky, happy..

DH: Happiest man in the world.

S: Do you get to travel most of the time or...?

DH: Until she’s 18. See I believe children when they play golf, parents should support them, but not control them. When Charly plays golf, I’m here. I say Charly, “Go play, I’m here”. I come in here (player’s lounge, clubhouse) or back to the hotel. Then I come back, pick her up and go back. Support them. I think a lot of parents ruin their children controlling them.

S: I did that to my son. He was god  good tennis player but my criticism was too  much form him, But then again if he had  self confidence  all criticism could have been brushed aside. 
DG: Let me ask you another question. If Charly moves out of the house with a boyfriend at 17, what would you do?

DH: It’s her life, when she’s 18.

DG: No, at 17, she moves out.

DH: No she wouldn’t do that.

DG: No, I’m asking a hypothetical question. Let’s say she does at 17. What would you do?

DH: I’d still love her, she’s my daughter.

DG: Would you say don’t go, or go?

DH: Well I’d say “If that’s what you want, that’s what it will be.”

DG: You won’t object?

DH: I will object, but if that’s her decision...

21:32
DG: So you will object! That’s a kind of control.

DH: Well if you say that’s control. No it’s trying to help her. I like Charly to live her own life. I’ll steer her like a car.

DG: Correct, but there are times, when you have to say NO, haven’t you ever said “don’t do it or do it this way in all your life?”

DH: Oh yes!

DG: When was that?

DH: She had a stud in her belly. I said “Charly, you don’t want that.”

DG: Great! So there’s a little control. You don’t expect parents to be ignoring that!! Hahaha.

DH: No I said, I don’t mind the stud in the belly, but I said it could get an infection, no, no, no.

DG: Absolutely.

DH: This week, Charly told me, “Dad, look, it’s sore”, “That’s what I told ya” “I didn’t tell you that because I don’t want one, but because there’s a chance it could get an infection.

S: So she took it out?

DH: Yes, she took it out. It’s okay now.

S: So now she knows better.

DH: There you go; I think you gotta let them learn.

25:11
S: What was the name of the first coach Charly went to again?

DH: Lee Scarborough. Introduced by Ian Poulter .He is the professional in her course in England. He’s a friend of Charly’s.

DG: Now you had been a plasterer. You hadn’t had any higher education. How did you become so philosophical and more understanding about life? I see there are more qualities of a learned man. You may not have had any academic qualifications but you are a more matured man with a higher intellect but zero academic qualifications. How is that?

DH: I look, learn and listen. I observe and I do listen to people. I don’t say ‘yes yes yes’. I listen and I read.

DG: Did Charly graduate?

DH: No, she went for home schooling.

DG: You didn’t encourage her to graduate from any university?

DH: She didn’t want that. Charly said “I want to be play golf. I want to be the best golfer in the world.”

DG: She said that?

DH: Yes, it’s been on TV many times.

DG: Great! That’s a little bit like what I am experiencing with my kids , he wants to be the No.1 in Asia, No.1 in Europe, No.1 in Malaysia...Yes he can, He has a picture-book Tiger Woods swing, but his  mind needs  are   much more than what he is wielding to match Tiger Woods’ mind  especially with regards to the short game.  And that all feel within. There’s no holy grail of success for somebody to learn. Must be acquired by self .So until they pass that hurdle, they begin to wonder whether there is something to learn from there, the supposed holy-grail.
; you can’t be analyzing how your hand and legs should be moving. It is the mind that directs all body parts to move so the stone hits the target. I was good at plucking mangoes this way.


DH: You react to the target.

DG: You react to the target! Yes, it’s a spontaneous reaction not a predetermined method of body movement and practiced somewhere else. What one can carry is the previous experience of how the stone was thrown right on the mango-target. Often the throw is more accurate when the hunger for the mango is intense.

29:04
DH: Charly - she started off, first event, European Tour, she just turned pro. So what would most people do on their first event? They’d get a good caddie. Charly said “I don’t want no caddie”.

[LAUGHTER]

DG: Yes that’s the correct way

DH: “I want to do it myself Dad, I want to learn”. Okay. All the tournaments, no caddie, she says “I’m doing this for the future. I want to learn. Whatever I do wrong I want to work it out.”

DG: She is a great kid. I did the same thing to my son. My friends are telling me I’m a stingy father.

S: You mean you asked him to pull his own bag, pull his own trolley?

DG: Bag, carry his own bag! I didn’t allow him any sort of caddie, nor a trolley
It’s a simple philosophy, a champion is 1 in several millions, you can’t think like the several millions and be a champion! You have to be something different. You go to a school; you’ll be one of the me-too products  that come out in thousands.

30:57
DH: Absolutely.

DG: That’s why I believe you need a village to bring up a kid. To isolate the kid.

DH: We lived in a village!

DG: It is easy to sell any thing when confidence level is substandard. As to what the exact needs..

DH: You’re right here. It has to come from within. You see when Charly was little, she was brought up playing with the boys and men, no girls. When she was small she just wanted to play with the men, beat the men. I remember Ian Poulter, he gets all the best youngsters in the country and he has a competition, every day after the British open (the men’s Open). So there they are playing a big course at Woburn Golf & Country Club. And the ladies go on a tee about from here to that tent away (about 30-50 feet distance). And the boys go on the back tees here. Charly said “I’m not playing, I wanna play off that- the boys tees.” I said “No, Charly, well, you know, you can’t win it.” “It doesn’t matter, I wanna play off with the boys”. So they went and asked the officials who said” Sure if she wants to play off that, play off that”. But she stood no chance of winning it.

DG: It doesn’t matter!

DH: Yes, she didn’t mind doing it. See it comes from within. She wants to challenge herself. She doesn’t want to win because the girls are down there. And that’s what they did; the overall winner was the winner, not a boy or girl. So they play against each other, so she could have won it playing down there, but she said “No, I want to play off here”, challenging them, they’re a person, I’m a person, I play against you, I’m not playing against the girls. And that’s Charly.

DG: These are secrets you should reveal for the younger generation.

DH: Oh yeah!

DG: When you do so, unforeseen hands will gift your kids. Because a lot of people hold on to their fine secrets in life, thinking that others will come up and prevent their advance, that’s not correct, there’s always room for everybody.

DH: I could tell you things but there’s something I won’t tell you and it is different and that’s the only thing I’m going to say. She has been different ever since she was little. The other 2 daughters... Charly is different. Strange. It’s in here (points to head) I won’t tell you now.

S: Do you know about karma?

DH: Well, this has something to do with something like that.

DG: You know in karma what he says is this. I will explain to you. Karma is a philosophy that nothing can be destroyed nor created. That’s the first principle. It is a cycle. Karma is something like a bank. When you take it out it gets empty, when you load yourself it gets full. You load yourself with good things you get rewarded over and over again. When you load yourself with rubbish you pay for it over and over again. And it’s unending. You cannot confess to somebody and say forgive me for the bad deeds; you have to pay till you get off all the bad. That’s not difficult as all you need to do is do more good deeds. You cannot confess for forgiveness.

DH: Yes

DG: You can’t confess and forgive your sins. Nor can you confess and acquire merits.  Similarly no good  practice no performance

DH: I understand.

DG: That’s karma.

DH: Charly never gets up here or down there. Never. If she plays bad she never gets down there. If she plays good, she never gets up there. (referring to ego ups and downs)

DG: That’s the essential trait of a champion. Because remember the sins all religions describe are the biggest elements of destruction for a good sportsmen; ego, lack of understanding your own ability, showmanship, cheating, all that destroys your own game.

DH: Absolutely!

DG: You don’t do sins, you’re a good person. The ball doesn’t believe in favoritism. It flows, it moves the way you hit the ball.

S: Let me add to that. We are spirit and matter. Everyone of us. Each and every living entity. That spirit represents all that is pure, because it came from a pure source.

36:41
DH: There’s a friend of ours, somebody I know, she came up to me and said, this is, and I don’t understand this because I don’t look into this, I am not religious in any way.

DG: It’s not religion.

DH: There’s a spirit looking after Charly. She is, I know it, I can feel it, and I thought Oh well maybe. And then 2 years ago I was in America, and a man came up to me and he says “Is that your daughter?” And I say ‘yeah’ and he said “She’s got a spirit looking after her. I can tell”. And I thought that’s strange. Somebody else told me that. And in England we were playing in one of the Opens and another man came up and said “She’s got a guardian angel looking after her. I can just sense it, the way she is.” And there’s me thinking I don’t understand any of this. I don’t. But that’s what people say.

DG: How you explain that, is she has earned her own guardian spirit. She earned it herself.

DH: Yeah. When she was born, at the hospital, when she came out the midwife who is a very old lady, said, “She’s been here before”.

[LAUGHTER]

DH: And I said what do you mean? And she got out from the wife when she was born, given to me, I picked her up like that and she went [huge wide big grin].

[LAUGHTER]

DH: I couldn’t believe this, she just smiled.

DG: With you?

DH: Yeah! Two weeks after, I have her on my knee, burping,I used to go, Charly, pat pat pat while burping her. And then she goes, [shakes body and head violently]. And the wife looked at her. She (Charly) was telling me to stop it. We both looked at each other - you don’t do that at two weeks old! She made it a point to tell me “Stop it I don’t want that, stop it!”

[LAUGHTER]

DH: But the other two daughters are different. Charly when she was born I just knew she was different. She is her own person, so I support her, I don’t control her. I want her to let her take her own path to wherever it takes her.

DG: What about her marriage? Is it in sight?

DH: Marriage?

DG: Yes.

DH: Charly doesn’t even think about boys.

DG: Has she ever had a boyfriend?

DH: Once for about 2 weeks.

DG: Only for 2 weeks!?

[LAUGHTER]

DH: 2 weeks and that’s it.

DG: Does she go for parties? Late night?

DH: No, no.

DG: What’s the latest?

DH: 12.00 o’clock. With the two sisters.

S: She’s disciplined. Very disciplined.

DH: In herself.

DG: Not by control.

S: No, no you didn’t have to tell her.

DH: No, no, no.

DG: She doesn’t like wasting time hanging around boys and just hang around?

DH: She hangs around boys but the boys are a lot older and they’re friends.

S: I think they respect her.

DH: They do. And they love her for what she is.

S: We would like to meet her.

DG: For 2 weeks she had a boyfriend. How did that happen? How did she declare a boyfriend for 2 weeks? What happened?

40:25
DH: At school. She just dumped him and said I don’t want him anymore. She’s a kid.

[LAUGHTER]

S: At school that was what age?

DH: Oh I don’t know,

S: 12 or 10?

DH: Yeah 12, I think. Don’t know. I just let her progress her own way.

DG: Very interesting. And thanks a lot for being so honest. Now I want you to check to convince yourself, you said the ball path, the flight of the ball has now been corrected. If you have the time, if you have a video - I’ve done this to my son – correspond this with the swing and see whether this corrected ball flight is the result of the swing or the result of something else, because from my own experience, a good swing does not necessarily result in a good shot. And a bad swing sometimes, gives a good shot. Look, there are also many top sportsmen who do out-of-the-box moves.

DH: Oh yeah, yeah.

DG: So there’s no relationship. I mean of course, and awkwardly bad swing won’t even move the ball, I’m talking about reasonably bad swing. I say this because I have  analyzed many swings and ball  on target relations ship .Then I gave up because sometimes a shot was fine but he didn’t swing the way he’s supposed to swing. And then there are other times when he swings the way he’s supposed to swing but the ball doesn’t move the same way that it’s supposed to move. So there’s no correlation here (i.e swing?) to what is happening to the ball. You got it? Even the present leader Lexi hit  very differently to what the book say. She at times- out of balance -still the ball is dead on target escaping water s, bunker on 130  +  yard  approach shots

DH: I got it.

S: I got it.

DG: I have to charge you for this interview (jokingly)

[LAUGHTER]

42:04
DH: In England, we had to do a video, while we were here, Charly had to send it to England, because all the top golf writers and everything are having a big dinner in England and they’re having all the top professionals there and they’re doing an award for the best up and coming player this year. And...er. is it Cantanell, what’s his name... the American, what’s his name....

S: He’s a player?

DH: Yeah, American.

DG: Ranked player?

DH: Oh yes, one of the, he’s coming up, one of the best players in America. He turned pro, Catly, Catlyn? (JOHN CATLIN)

S: Never mind.

DH: Yeah, and Fitzpatrick, he won the US Amateur.

S: The latest tournament?

DH: Yes, the US Amateur, which is a prestigious thing..., and Charly’s in it. We were told Charly’s won the award, so she’s going to do a video, which we’ve done and at the dinner, next week, or this week, they’re going to have her on a screen and thank them for the award, for the most up-and-coming player of the year.

43:23 
DG: One more thing gentlemen. There about 250 components in a swing.

S: You’re getting technical.

DG: If we split it. Out of that (the 250 components) the most essential part, cannot be seen to the naked eye nor to any photography. What is that part?

S: Inside (the mind)

DG: Inside is one, there’s another part, a physical part.

S: You cannot see?

DG: You cannot see.... the wrist.

S: Cannot see the wrist?

44:04
DG: You cannot see it because it’s so fast, you cannot see it, and the grip, at the time of impact, and that decides exactly where the ball is going, the distance and the direction because [ILLUSTRATING] like this, the ball is somewhere else, you can have the body, hand everything, like this it’s different. You’ve play cricket, you know what it is. From here you know it can be totally different. That cannot be seen, but you try to correct the other things without addressing the most important thing, which is here (the mind), which you can’t do it anyway, the next most important thing is here, (the wrist), they can’t see it either. So, see what a waste of time.

DH: What clubs does your son use?

44:40
DG: Actually, he has a combination of clubs, because he uses one club that he loves and has not given up for the last 5 years – a Nike 5 wood. Then he has Taylormade driver...

DH: No, I mean the irons.

DG: Titleist irons.

DH: Yeah, Charly, does blades.

DG: Yeah blades, of course, he uses blades. And then he uses the titleist – the 3 wedges, the lob wedge etc. So it’s a combo.

DH: She uses all blades.

S: All blades?

45:09
DH: All blades, all the irons are blades.

DG: But may I interrupt, on this course it is questionable to use blades.

DH: I know, I know.

DG: Because the fairways are not so good.

DH: I know I know.

DG: So if there’s a good reason why she’s not striking the ball, it could be because of the blades, this is a cavity back course.

DH: I know.

DG: This course is a cavity back course.

DH: You’re right. You’re dead right.

S: What course?

DG: This course we have here is more suitable for cavity back clubs, irons.

S: Cavity back?

DG: Yeah.

DH: You’re right, because you can’t squeeze it.

DG: Yeah. You can’t squeeze it.

DH: You’re dead right.

DG: Technical, that’s why I’m here. We don’t just write on results.

DH: That’s exactly right.

DH: You know I’ve told Charly, I say “Don’t you want your 4-iron in a cavity, you know, the coach says it”. She says no they’re “cheating clubs”. With these (the blades), if you hit it right, it’s perfect, if you hit it wrong, your work on your swing. And that’s Charly. She says “No, I wouldn’t use them”.

DG: So if she says that, next time when you come to this part of the world, this part of the world doesn’t have those kinds of good courses. Like what you see where you can have proper clubs. So you have to use more helpful, clubs to suit the environment.

DH: I know.

DG: And even, you’re getting the first time in your life, anyway, preferred lies.

DH: I know.

S: Preferred lie here?

DG: Yeah! And not only that, it’s a preferred lie within one club length.

DH: Yeah. I know.

DG: It’s a kiddies game here.

S: But throughout the night there was rain.

DG: No, no no, throughout the game.

S: Oh ok.

46:55
DH: Charly, she said the first day she said, she had, and the caddie said she had so many putts about from here to the wall away (about 8 feet) for birdie. About 10 of them. Never got any. She said I couldn’t get it into the hole. They’re so slow.

DG: Absolutely. At a reading of 11.

DH: It was too slow. She said “I can’t make myself hit it”. On good greens she’s a great putter, on slow greens she has no feel, she doesn’t hit and she likes to feel it. And that’s what she told and the caddie said the same. He said she could have been 6th or 8th.

S: How do you explain how the players managed to get good scores? They’re just used to it?

DH: Yeah, they, I’ve watched a lot of them playing here, they hit the green it bounces on and rolls on.  I see Charly, hits in the middle of the green, then zip zip zip, fall off the back.

DG: Backspin.

DG: So you know about the technicalities of the game.

DH: Oh yeah.

DG: You’re a 3 handicapper after all.
  
DH: I learnt. Since Charly, was little I read everything I could about golf to understand it.

DG: You’re a great man, particularly with your background of being a plasterer as a profession... whereas we boast double academic degrees etc but it’s all bullshit. 

S: He went to the University of Life.

DG: I never forced my children to excel in education but they did excel without my force. They were the best in class etc.

S: They were gifted.

DG: I never promoted them. But I DID promote them to play golf since the day they could walk. Because I think that’s one of the most wonderful ways to spend the rest of your life. I regret not starting my game at the age of 5.

DH: Yeah me too!

DG: I started my game at the age of 35.

DH: I was 45.

DG: Because I don’t like Man rushing to office and scribbling something and coming back. I don’t want my children to be like that.

DH: I’ve never done that.

DG: I never did that too.

DH: No, I’ve never done that.

DG: I never did it in my life - rushing to an office, coming back at 5 o’clock. Even when I was at chocolate selling, I was in the marketing side, so I get up at any time I want and travel the world, phone....

S: He used to work for a chocolate company

DH: Oh right!

DG: So fortunately, that was not in my control. I didn’t even know what job I wanted when I graduated. Such a stupid, fresher. But the person who saw me knew I’m a good marketing guy. I didn’t know it myself. I thought marketing, according to my father is a sales job..... it’s a very degrading job..... it’s not a good job..... selling like a fishmonger.

S: A government job...

DG: Oh yeah, pensionable job is the thing!

S: Doctor, lawyer....

[LAUGHTER]

More to come





No comments: